The topics covered by this session of the EPPR working group included:
- An update on the Arctic Marine Shipping Assessment
- Circumpolar map of resources at risk from oil spills in the Arctic
- Arctic Rescue
- Amver as tool for search and rescue in the Arctic
- Guidelines and strategies for oily waste management in the Arctic
- US Arctic search and rescue MOU or agreement update
- Ongoing US projects regarding radiological hazards in the Arctic
- Election of new EPPR chair
Delegations from Norway, Russia, Canada, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, and the United States discussed the various topics affecting the Arctic. At the conclusion of our meeting the United States was unanimously elected chair of the working group.
The Arctic remains important to shipping and the Arctic nations are committed to ensuring the Arctic is safe for residents, mariners, and the environment.
Do you think Amver can play a significant role in Arctic search and rescue? What are your concerns for the Arctic?